Justice Outside is hiring an Operations Associate who believes in our mission to advance racial justice and equity in the outdoor and environmental movement. We provide grantmaking, capacity-building, and training to promote healthy lives and inspire future champions of the planet.
If you’re excited to support people, programs, and systems to make a positive impact in the community, we are looking for you! The Operations Associate is responsible for supporting Justice Outside’s operations and administrative needs. Responsibilities include administrative support to the board of directors as needed; logistical support for programs; grants management support; collaboration on all organizational, operations, and administrative activities in addition to supporting our communications and outreach efforts. You will work collaboratively with the Justice Outside team, and report to the Director of Administrative Services who reports directly to the President & CEO.
- Manage general office operations; which includes ordering office supplies, serving as a liaison with our technology vendors to coordinate maintenance and office visits for equipment, supporting the Advancement Team in tracking/ordering swag and event materials, and having a physical presence in the office at least two days per week for on-site support
- Collaborates with the Director of Administrative Services to brainstorm, implement, and train all staff on new organizational policies
- Supports the President and CEO in the completion of timely payments via check or wire transfers to vendors and provide investigative research to the accounting team for questions that may arise
- Assist the Director of Administrative Services with booking meeting space and vendors in addition to supporting staff and board meetings by preparing and disseminating meeting agendas, materials, and minutes
- Provides support as needed with onboarding new team members, including collecting paperwork, ordering supplies, and scheduling an onboarding meeting and additional trainings required for the job
- Supports management in the preparation of the organizational audit process by supplying files and consistent follow-up as needed per management or auditor request
- Utilize accounting software (Xero) to track organizational expenses and grantee payments; will also provide monthly and quarterly budget variance reports to each department on actual expenses vs. budgeted expenses
- Assist with drafting contracts and coordinates the disbursement of contracts to vendors, partners, and grantees
- Provide support to the communications department with updating website content as it relates to operations and programs
- Collaborate with program teams to secure partner contracts, process billing, and track program spending
- Maintain calendar of program dates and locations and communicate with program participants in a timely manner with any updates or changes to meeting details
- Coordinate the logistics for all program meetings including venue rental and catering
- Support with preparation for all program meetings including printing materials, managing program supplies, and assisting with program set up and take down when applicable
Grants Management Support
- Serve as a point of contact for grantee organizations and assist with setting up site visits
- Manage the logistics of the organization’s grant records, which include collecting grant reports, maintaining grant files, coordinating grant payments, generating summaries, and updating grantee contact information
- Support the grantmaking process, including bringing recommendations for streamlining to supervisor, coordination and technical support with Q&A webinars, logistical support with external advisory panel, and tracking feedback on Letter of Intent (LOI) process
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through with the ability to accurately analyze and synthesize information
- Ability to effectively interact and positively communicate with supporters, grantees, staff, board members, vendors, and the public
- Ability to track, manage, and prioritize effectively and in a timely manner while working on multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a small team environment with a broad range of individuals and organizations with diverse interests and backgrounds
- Desire to work in a collaborative, high energy environment with a commitment to racial justice at the intersection of the outdoors and environment
- 1-year minimum hands-on experience in an administrative role that may have included working with vendors and using accounting software to track expenses
- Ability to lift and/or move objects or packages up to 25 lbs
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in business is preferred
- 2 years of full-time professional experience in an office setting preferably a non-profit organization
- Knowledge of Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, and Drive), Microsoft Office Suite, Slack Communications Platform and Xero Accounting Software
- Experience in grants management and reporting
- Experience in racial justice, social justice, environmental justice, and cultural relevance
- This is a full-time, Monday through Friday, benefited position based in Justice Outside’s Oakland, CA office. This role is required to have a physical presence in the office at least two days per week.
- Due to Covid-19 Pandemic, employees are currently working in a hybrid work environment that supports both remote and in-person. When working remotely, employees must maintain phone and internet services to be able to complete work as required.
- Moderate noise associated with an open office work environment.
- Expected 5% to 10% U.S. travel
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Operations Associate may be assigned additional duties in support of operations.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $47,000-$53,000.
Benefits include: generous vacation, paid health and dental premiums, a supportive team culture, and financial support for individual professional development opportunities. Candidates also have the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan. The median salary for this position nationwide is $49,696.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email to: Sarah Allison (she/her), Director of Administrative Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the SUBJECT: Operations Associate
Justice Outside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.