Are you seeking an opportunity to be a part of a team that is focused on systems change? Our systems change approach includes grantmaking, anti-racism training, career pathway development, and capacity-building.
Justice Outside shifts resources to, build power with, and center the voices and leadership of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color because the health of current and future generations demands it. Justice Outside has long worked to remove barriers that have historically prevented communities of color from accessing meaningful experiences in nature and professional experience in the outdoor sector. We know that participating in outdoor programming offers those who have been most impacted by racial injustice a powerful source of healing and growth.
This Director of Learning and Evaluation will oversee both internal and external opportunities in support of Justice Outside’s organizational effectiveness. Internally, this includes improving program design, tracking performance vs goals, creating a learning culture and tracking learnings and guiding us towards overall organizational effectiveness. Externally, the position will focus on understanding and contributing to furthering evidence-based best practices in the field; using insights from learning to further police and systems change and share the impact of our work. The Ideal candidate for this role will have an understanding of systems level change and what it takes to begin moving in this direction through programming and advocacy work. This position will report directly to the President & CEO and work closely with the Justice Outside team to implement comprehensive learning and evaluation strategies that help to inform and improve organizational performance in order to strengthen Justice Outside’s impact.
- Utilize social research to investigate our impact, engaging and managing external consultants and outside evaluators as needed
- Research and stay ahead of best practices across all areas of our work – from the broader field of outdoor and environmental leadership to grantmaking best practices to racial equity performance measures
- In collaboration with the President & CEO, establish a robust evaluation and learning practice that leverages data to inform program implementation and organizational direction
- Support the work of the senior leadership team to create a culture of continuous improvement through data collection and thought leadership
- Establish and maintain systems that efficiently support the research, collection, and aggregation of data from various internal and external stakeholders while maintaining an equitable evaluation lens
- Provide a vision for the types of analyses to be conducted, how to visualize and tell our story using data to inform sound decision making across the organization.
- Analyze data collected and provide key insights around what is and is not working as it relates to reaching our short and long term vision.
- Create a learning and evaluation calendar to encompass monthly learning activities from the desired departments/stakeholders
- Establish a learning agenda and a process to monitor and report on implementation
- Support program teams to ensure that learning and evaluation outcomes are integrated into future strategy and program planning
- Develop processes to evaluate how elements of program and organizational strategies are working and the modifications needed for continuous improvement
- Provide high-level data, evaluation findings and reports to various internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to evaluate programs and systems which involve multiple stakeholders
- Experience bringing an equity-minded approach to collaboration and outcomes and a knowledge of equitable of evaluation practices
- A track record of developing and implementing processes that advance learning and improvements across programs or organizations
- A passion and an appreciation for advancing racial justice and equity in the outdoors and environmental movement, including an understanding of the positive benefits of nature-based activities
- Ability to track, manage, and prioritize data effectively and in a timely manner while working on multiple projects
- Experience managing both quantitative and qualitative research methods, data, and surveys and comfortable with data analysis, visualization and data reporting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with others in a professional environment
- A proven self-starter and problem solver with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Committed to racial, social and environmental justice and building relationships authentically
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to apply evaluation experience in a practical, organizationally-minded way that includes being nimble/adaptive and focused on learning for improvement and impact
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience evaluating organizations and programs in a non-profit environment
- Proficiency with general office software (ex. Microsoft & Google Suites) & data collection software for program evaluation
- Proficiency with Video Software Platforms (Zoom, Google Meet, Teams, etc.)
- This is a full-time, Monday through Friday, salaried position. This position can be located anywhere in the continental United States.
- Our Central Offices are located in downtown Oakland, CA. Please note: There is a need for this position to be flexible with availability for meetings on an as-needed basis during our core business hours of 9am-2pm (PT)/12-5pm (ET)/11am – 4pm (CT).
- Justice Outside offers remote work options and a hybrid work environment (both remote and in-person) for team members in the California Bay Area.
- When working remotely, employees must maintain phone and high-speed internet services to be able to complete work as required.
- Expect up to 25% U.S. travel.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Director of Learning and Evaluation may be assigned additional duties in support of programmatic and organizational evaluation.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Annual Starting Salary: $88,700
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include: generous vacation, paid health and dental premiums, a supportive team culture, and an annual stipend for individual professional development activities. Candidates also have the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan.
Justice Outside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and what makes you a good fit for this position via email to: Kim Moore Bailey (she/her), Chief Executive Officer at email@example.com with the SUBJECT: Director of Learning and Evaluation.