Justice Outside Board Member Role
The Justice Outside Board encompasses leaders from across nonprofit and for-profit sectors who are dedicated and passionate about the organization’s mission to advance racial equity and justice in the outdoors. New board members will be joining the organization during a period of strategic expansion and will have the opportunity to shape and guide the vision and plan for organizational growth and development. The current board oversees the financial health of Justice Outside and embraces its macro-level role; trusting the CEO to guide and execute the organization’s daily operations. Justice Outside is particularly eager to consider candidates who bring experience in finance, HR, Legal, Tech, and experience working state/national level to advance policy change and/or programs. Additionally, candidates that live, have relationships, and influence within our priority regions are strongly encouraged to apply. The Justice Outside board is a team of donors and the organization expects that board members will place it among their top three charitable giving priorities. Board members are also expected to cultivate gifts from their social and professional networks, supported by Justice Outside advancement staff.
Board Member General Roles & Responsibilities
- Commit to fully understand and promote the Justice Outside vision
- Actively engage, prepare for, and attend quarterly Board meetings and respond in a timely manner to organization communications.
- Serve on at least one standing committee (finance, audit, development, governance, programs, or strategic planning).
- Act as a positive, enthusiastic, consistent, and supportive ambassador for Justice Outside.
- Cultivate support for Justice Outside from social and professional networks, with staff support and preparation.
- Bring expertise to advance the organization’s internal capacity and external credibility.
- Take an active interest in environmental, climate change, and other mission-critical issues.
About Justice Outside
Justice Outside advances racial justice and equity in the outdoor and environmental movement. The organization shifts resources to, builds power with, and centers the voices and leadership of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color because the health of current and future generations demands it. We know that participating in outdoor programming offers those who have been most affected by racial injustice a powerful source of healing and growth. Justice Outside has reached an exciting time in its history: Against a backdrop of increased urgency around racial equity and broad shifts in public support to dismantle systemic racism, the need and demand for our work is greater than ever. We are poised to keep growing our capacity building and leadership development work to position emerging leaders of color who influence the field at large.
To apply, please contact our Director of Development Danielle Wolfrum at email@example.com.