Justice Outside advances racial justice and equity in the outdoor and environmental movement. We shift resources to, build power with, and center the voices and leadership of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color because the health of current and future generations demands it. Justice Outside has long worked to remove barriers that have historically prevented communities of color from accessing meaningful experiences in nature and professional experience in the outdoor sector. We know that participating in outdoor programming offers those who have been most impacted by racial injustice a powerful source of healing and growth.
Reporting to the Director of Donor Engagement and working closely with the Justice Outside team and a growing network of program alumni, the new Development Associate will support our annual fundraising efforts by maintaining a record of donations, donor information, and grants. They will also provide support to all aspects of Justice Outside’s foundation and corporate partnerships as well as individual donor engagement strategies. Successful candidates in this role will be detail- oriented with strong problem solving skills and the ability to work naturally in a team environment. You will join a collaborative team of self-motivated leaders who value equity, cultural relevancy, and inclusion as building blocks for effective work. We rely on creativity, flexibility, technology, listening, critical thinking, and humor to bring out the best in each other and our training participants, and we offer multiple opportunities for professional growth.
- Manage development-related calendars, including tracking all deadlines and activities for Letters of Intents (LOIs), proposals, and reports; as well as scheduling appointments and meetings on behalf of the development team and its members
- Maintain organization of the Development team’s Google Drive
- Maintain donor database (Blackbaud RE/NXT), including processing gifts, thank yous, grants, and new donor records, ensuring all information entered into the database is accurate
- Organize, Track and Manage the creation of reports to reflect how prospects and donors are moving through the fundraising cycle
- Work closely with the Director of Donor Engagement and the Development Manager to identify potential sources of donations and create reports that show fundraising progress and effectiveness of current and past campaigns
- Enter all development related revenue into our finance software (currently Xero) in a timely manner, with accuracy, and with all required attachments
- Take and share out minutes for Development team meetings
- With support from the Development Manager, act as lead support staff for the Governance Committee
Donor Research and Cultivation
- Support the Director of Donor Engagement in managing relationships with donors by processing gifts, crafting thank you notes, writing donor and prospect correspondence, and conducting other cultivation activities
- Support the coordination of annual fundraising events (1-3 per year)
- Assist with drafting grant reports and collecting program impact data as needed to support our foundation relationships
- Prepare materials to engage current supporters including letters, reports, and other communications
- Provide informational data to Development Leadership to be used in fundraising updates given to the Board
Donor Communications and Stewardship
- Personally steward our donors through customized notes and letters
- Manage email@example.com with respect to following up on donor acknowledgments and fundraising inquiries
- Help design and disseminate fundraising appeals through direct mail, web, social media, email, and texting campaigns
- Support the design and distribution of our Annual Report, event materials, and other communications
Our ideal candidate brings the following qualifications, competencies, and values:
- 2 years of full-time professional experience in an office setting
- Ambitious and organized problem-solver with a strong attention to detail and follow through
- Proven ability to collect, analyze, and manage information accurately and efficiently
- Strong background in performing data entry processes into predefined databases
- Ability to track, manage, and prioritize effectively and in a timely manner while working on multiple projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a small, but growing team environment with a broad range of individuals and organizations with diverse interests and backgrounds
- A passion and an appreciation for advancing racial justice and equity in the outdoors and environmental movement, including an understanding of the positive benefits of nature-based activities
- Excited to learn and use fundraising databases and reports (Blackbaud preferred)
- Willingness to try new things, such as participating in quarterly team-building activities
- Ability to work effectively and independently on a team with limited clerical support
- Curiosity to learn and apply fundraising best practices as well as innovative new approaches
- Knowledge of principles and practices of fundraising a plus
- Volunteer and Event Planning experience a plus
- Proficiency with general office and financial management software (ex. Microsoft & Google Suites, RE/NXT, Xero)
- This is a full-time, Monday through Friday, hourly position. Candidates should be located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area of California. Our offices are located in downtown Oakland, CA.
- Due to Covid-19 Pandemic, employees are currently working in a hybrid work environment that supports both remote and in-person. When working remotely, employees must maintain phone and internet services to be able to complete work as required.
- Expected 5% to 10% U.S. travel
- The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Development Associate may be assigned additional duties in support of development.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay: $23 – $25 per hour
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include: generous vacation, paid health and dental premiums, a supportive team culture, and an annual stipend for individual professional development activities. Candidates also have the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan.
Justice Outside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email to: Danielle Wolfrum (she/her), Director of Donor Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org with the SUBJECT: Development Associate.
VIEW THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AS A DOWNLOADABLE PDF